Monday, October 15, 2012

Part three: Sweat the small stuff.

This is the third post in a series about what you should be focusing on during your first year starting a photography business. 

In the beginning, you insist that it is the little things that will get you noticed. I was sure that once we hired a graphic designer to make us a "real" logo, that people would think highly of us. Once we got a Prophoto blog and started looking professional, that the inquiries would begin to flow in. Business cards. We Must. Get. Business Cards. These things are important, and for people like me who are perfectionists when it comes to presentation, these things are a must. But it's important to realize that these things are not "the key".

Because there is no one key. There are a lot of keys, and a lot of time, and a lot of work. Instead of spending months obsessing over the things I described, ensure that every interaction you have with someone is positive. Become friends with your clients, become friends with their friends. Have coffee with them, listen to them. Being a great photographer is a must, but without building a lasting friendship with your clients, you are losing a lot of potential referrals.

My friends sister recently got married and hired a well-known, husband and wife photography team to shoot their wedding. I respect this couple's work and from the few interactions I've had with them, they seem polite. But one of my good friends was at the wedding, and he noticed the photographers being rude to the family, friends, and even bridal party during the portraits. He overheard one of the photographers chew out a guest for shooting over his shoulder, which really stressed the bride out. My friend was shocked and disappointed when he left the wedding.

My main focus during a wedding second to taking photo's is keeping the bride relaxed and happy. Often they will apologize to me for running behind, which I always refuse to accept and give them a kind smile. It is their day, they are not burdening me! I am merely a fly on the wall, stepping in when they need me, and tagging along when they don't. At our last wedding the bride thanked me for being so relaxed and easygoing and told me I was reducing her stress. That made me so happy! Photographers often get stereotyped as being all business and schedule bound. But I insist on going with the flow during every wedding, no matter what. Because the bride and grooms happiness is the most important thing, not your portrait time. If you have an hour to take wonderful portraits, but you rushed the bride and made her feel guilty for holding you up, you have lost.

Your patience, kindness, friendliness, and helpful attitude during a wedding will gain you friends and future referrals. I often get friend requests from bridesmaids and family members after a wedding, and I can remain confident that I not only left a great impression on these people with my work, but from the interactions I had with them as well. And that is the type of person you suggest when your best friend is getting married.

No comments:

Post a Comment